Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Word Choice

At a swim meet several weekends ago, a fellow hotel breakfast eater, upon realizing the coffee pot was empty exclaimed to me, "They're out of coffee?  This is a tragedy!"

And although I understood what she meant, it still bothered me.  Maybe because I'm sure the coffee would be hot and ready in a few minutes (the need for instant gratification) or because maybe from the looks of her cup she already had some coffee (the need for excess).  More possibly it could have been caused by the fact that I had been reading about the life of children when faced with growing up in an orphanage or with an orphan status.  I think the true meaning of the word "tragedy" fits the latter and really doesn't belong used to describe an empty-for-three-minutes coffee pot.

So I have found myself, choosing my words a bit more carefully lately and instructing my children to do the same.

Love.  That is one I found myself throwing out from everything from chocolate to a song that pops on the radio.  When what I REALLY love, to name a few, is the Lord, my husband and children, adoption and salvation stories.

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and all your soul and with all your strength.
These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts.
Impress them on your children.  Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road (or drive your minivan), when you lie down and when you get up.
Deuteronomy 6:5-7

I don't want the words I speak cause my love for the Lord or my family to rank up there with my likeness or fondness for many good things in my life. I want my words to mean something--something real.  

God's Word compares the strength of our tongues to horse bits, ship rudders and a spark causing a huge forest fire.  (James 3)  The words we speak contain power.  They can build up or cut down.  They can bring joy and happiness or anger and sorrow.  Let's choose them carefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment