Pages

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

A Mother's Call

The other night Lindsey snuck into my room for a few extra goodnight kisses.  She wrapped her arms around my neck, told me she loved me and then, literally, skipped back across the hall to her room.  Her room, that she shares with her sister, was all aglow with Christmas lights.  I peeked at her as she arranged her pillows and stuffed animals just so, pulled up her covers and was still.  And then it hit me...this feeling of urgency for all the little girls in China who are orphaned.

I read an article recently about a new foster care type home in China.  The idea to try to offer some of the orphans a family-like setting where they would be in smaller groups with a caretaker.  An older girl was interviewed for the article and her quote just hurts my heart.

"I just can't wait to have a mom to call me in when it's time for dinner."

And although I don't have it exact--the point is clear.  Really?  This is what she was excited about?  This is what she has waited to have?  So many interviews I have read from waiting children state their longing for a family, a belonging, an acceptance and a purpose.

There is no biblical model for an orphanage because children were not created to live in warehouse type buildings, bed-to-bed.  Children need families to grow, thrive, succeed....live.

There are these moments in my life lately, like the other night, that bring on this "orphan ache" in my heart.  A feeling of pain and hurt for the millions of orphans that are still waiting to be a part of a family, who are waiting to hear their mom call them in for supper...





4 comments:

  1. I feel the same call in my heart. Orphan ache.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Orphan ache... I believe I have a bad case of that too. And I've been trying to spread it to everyone I know. Beautifully written post, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. I know what you mean. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you read chinaloveministries.blogspot.com ? They take in orphan girls until they get their forever home. If necessary the girls will stay with them and grow up. I love their daily life.

    ReplyDelete