Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Inheritance

I read this quote the other day:
"In adoption the fearful become beloved, the scorned become adored, the nameless become cherished, the lonely become the laughing, and death becomes life abundant."
~Kerry Hasenbalg

It has run through my head over and over. It has gnawed at my heart over and over. I do a lot of "what ifs" when it comes to Lindsey. I'm not sure it is healthy or if it serves a purpose, but I do it. I hear statistics and stories on orphans and I think "that could have been Lindsey". That could have been our beloved, adored, cherished, and laughing Lindsey.

This played out in a very real way for me a couple of weekends ago. Ben had his pine wood derby race. Tim had planned on just taking him when he asked if Lindsey could go. She could race an old car of his in the sibling category. The three of them set out to conquer the race track!

Tim sent me a picture from his phone during Lindsey's race.
There for all to see. She is no longer nameless. She was given a name by the orphanage staff and her last name matched all the other orphans in leu of the province she was found. No baby book names, no discussion and no heritage. And now...cherished and an Apisa name with all the rights and inheritance that come with it. There seems to be something so gospelish about that. Isn't that the same as our spiritual adoption?

God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under law, to redeem those under law, that we might receive the full rights of sons. Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, " Abba, Father." So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir. Galatians 4:4-7

I met Ben at the door when they came home. He ran past me to his room and came back down with an old baseball trophy. His car had actually won a trophy for placing second. Lindsey's car didn't fare as well. But he wasn't about to let his little beloved sister feel left out. So in our kitchen, he conducted his own award ceremony to present her with a trophy as well.
"The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me...He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted...to give them beauty for ashes...that He might be glorified."
Isaiah 61:1-3

Considering adoption? Pray...there are millions of fearful, scorned, nameless, and lonely that wait.

12 comments:

  1. That is so truly sweet of him! The love of a big brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My eyes are teary after reading that he gave her one of his trophy's. What a sweet big brother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Baby, we are praying and i am hoping one more will be one less!
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers and tears! Beautiful post. Thank you for sharing! I love what Ben did when he got home - sibling love is just amazing! What a gift God has given us through children, siblings, family, and friends. So happy that Lindsey is named and loved! Praying for your next little one (and ours), that they will have that special family name soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that touched me so much, Kelly! What a beautiful post! And what precious children! I can't wait to have our Caroline Faith home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl...I saw your clip on FB yesterday, and I cried. That was after I put my makeup on too. ;-) My heart still aches for them all, and I look at your sweet Lindsey and our Kinzie, and I am amazed at how they have enlarged our hearts. I wish people would look past all the fear they have about adopting and realize it is a child. A child that is waiting to be named...to be loved. Thank you for continuing the journey to another child.

    LYLAS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a sweet story! LOVE it =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great brother your boy is! Thanks for making me smile!

    Blessings to you girlfriend,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoyed your post! Cool to see that God is teaching us similar things about Himself and his love for orphans! What a difference a name makes!

    Nathan

    ReplyDelete