Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Joining the Army

WARNING: heavy post below.

We received an email yesterday from our agency announcing that there would be no more EPs (exit permissions) issued by the Korean government until January 2012. In non-adoptive language it means that for families (like ours) that have not received a referral, regardless of when you do, you may not travel to bring that child home until at the earliest Jan. 2012.

And so we remain a family of 6 for 2011.

I was feeling a bit "sucker punched" as this was new to me. I had heard for the first time last month about a different agency that had run into a back log of EPs for their families. (More referrals sent out then the government would allow EPs for.) I was a bit frustrated then because I didn't even know this possibility existed. I do wish we would have been informed of the chance--I don't think it would have changed our decision--but would have allowed this mommas heart some time to prepare.

I think this has happened before with our agency but in the late fall. Again, meaning that families that received their referrals after Sept. would wait to travel until the first of the year. Last I checked it isn't even June yet and so the "sucker punch" struck.

I went up to my room to "prink". (Tim told me that is what Francis Chan calls thinking and praying.) I posted on Facebook that I was "feeling defeated by the Korean government". Then I went to bed.

And then the Lord spoke to my heart. The words written in Exodus, that I shared as my lesson learned some weeks ago, came alive as ONLY the Word of God can:

"Moses answered the people, "Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still."

And so I am reminded that the battle in adoption is not just fought through paperwork and huge fees...it is bigger and more complex that what we see. There is a spiritual battle for the lives of these children (and for the lonely, oppressed..) that we cannot see. This is the battle that the Lord is fighting. He is fighting for the underdog who He loves, who He would leave the other 99 to find.

He will NOT be defeated. I am standing with renewed strength to endure on the side that is UNDEFEATABLE.

22 comments:

  1. We're so, so sorry to hear this. What a reminder of the spiritual battle that's ongoing and so real. Thank you for letting us know how to pray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My stomach hurts just thinking about it. I'm sorry for your lost expectations and I'm praying that God will hold that child that is already known to him in His hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet friend...I am so sorry...I've been where you are now and it simply hurts and no one understands. I am praying for you precious friend...praying hard! God has already ordained the exact moment you will be holding your precious babe and it will not happen 1 moment sooner or 1 moment later than the Lord has planned. Hugs mama...go out and have some fun with your kiddos today...it will help, I promise! {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Kelly, that is crazy news...but I absolutely am loving what God spoke to you. That is amazing insight in it self and I think we ALL need to hear that. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is SUCH a good reminder that this IS a spiritual battle for the lives and souls of children. What a word from God! Praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way, I LOVE the new shirt! Dern it. Didn't I just buy SIX? Okay, five, but still....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry for this tough news Kelly but amazed at how open your heart is to hearing God's word. This post was so encouraging for all of us in this fight! Thank you for being so willing to share the tough stuff and spur the rest of us on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry! I know how hard the wait is. Hang in there...when you get that baby in your arms, the pain will all go away. Praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so, so sorry, Kelly. I feel like we have recently dealt with similar emotions with the slowdowns with Ethiopian adoptions. I know God has plans for us in the wait, and I am trying to be content in that. It is hard though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Romans8:37-39 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[k] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. " Praying

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sarah B...I looked for a way to contact you and couldn't find it so I thought I would post here and maybe you'll see it. I really appreciate your comment. You are right that I do find comfort in all of life from my relationship with the Lord. I do believe that there is a battle that rages for the salvation of souls. I think that Satan would rather keep children in orphanages and in places where the likelihood of their ever hearing of the saving grace of Jesus is minimal. The Bible says, "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." Eph 6:12

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Girl! I so agree!! The spiritual battles in adoption are so prevalent!!!! The enemy does not want those precious children to be joined with families.....and he tries to thwart God's plans. But the great news is........the enemy never wins when he fights against God's will!!!! Way to seek ~ and hear! ~ our Heavenly Father!!!!! He IS fighting for you and your family!!!! AND HE ALWAYS WINS!!!! ALWAYS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. God has a plan - He always does! We've been through it ALL and at the end of each journey I can always look back and see that He had me in His hands the whole time.

    Brooke Annessa
    www.theannessafamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Huh. Still don't really see it. Korea is a Christian country, and those foster families (not orphanages) love on their babies so much. I could never hate the Korean government. Bureaucratic, mired in politics, sure. But letting me raise their child is the biggest gift they could ever give, and i will forever be humbled and grateful for that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow....didn't know about that either? OH my heart.....I can't imagine....that sucker punch. PRAYING for all of you. Praying God's peace even when things happen that punch us in the face! PRAYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kelly - hugs and prayers. I know that God has given me the gift of friends like you to help us endure this wait and pray for each other. Thinking of you and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sarah B-I certainly do not hate the Korean government and are so thankful for countries that allow international adoption. What a gift. We are also humbled and grateful for our daughter's (and future children's) birthmothers sacrifice. All the rules, regulations, and red tape with adoption can be so frustrating with all countries. The conditions for the orphaned babies in Korea is definitely better than most countries however nothing can compare to a stable, "forever" family.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Feeling your hurt in this, but thankful that the Lord graced you with His words and promises.

    ReplyDelete
  20. praying for you girl! Its never easy, but God is with you standing besides you and even carrying you when you feel like you can't walk no longer!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad you are feeling better! I was worried about you and praying for you. So, is the sales retreat back on?? :) You name the day! Got Kat's bday party next Sat, but besides that, June looks good. Once school is out (Friday) (sniff..sniff!), we could even meet up with all the kiddos?! Although, I think the adult-only, female type retreat would benefit us much better! :) Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so sorry. Oh, I'm so sorry.

    When Rwanda closed- I felt suckered punched too. Last week I signed the placement papers for our little miracle...!!!! He was conceived the same weekend Rwanda closed.

    God's got this. Cant wait to see your story unfold.

    ReplyDelete