Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2011

The adoption alteration.

Our subdivision consists of super fancy houses, moderate homes and some apartments. The apartments are mostly family housing for the university. There are many international families that live there. I love how the playgrounds near the apartments are usually like a mini-U.N. meeting--if only the real nations could get along like the kiddos at the playground!

The other evening I sat and chatted with a Chinese couple while the girls played on the playground. They were very interested in Lindsey. I was a bit concerned because after every question, they would converse in Chinese leaving me wondering what they had to say about this American lady.

As it got dark, we both decided we'd better be getting home. As I called for the girls, the wife came over and put her hand on my shoulder. I wasn't sure where this was headed until I saw the tears in her eyes. In her soft, broken English she told me that she has seen young girls on the streets of Beijing. She went on to say, "There is no life for orphan in China, she have no future, you have changed her destiny, she has family, she has sister, she has love, if she was left in China she have no one. You save her life, you change her destiny."

Now with tears in my eyes, I sincerely thanked her for her kind words. I assured her that we were the fortune ones. I explained to her how Lindsey has brought so much laughter and love into our family and that we love her incredibly. We agreed to meet up again another day.

As we walked home in our usual fashion, Lucy in the stroller and Lindsey speeding ahead on her bike, I thought about what she said. We have heard stories of the lives of orphans once they age out but she has seen it. She, maybe better than most, understood the awful truth of what Lindsey's life could or would have been. Broke my heart.

I then came to a new realization about my daughter's adoption. And as much as her life was altered due to our family's decision to adopt, I thought the real truth is that the Lord has used her to change my "destiny".

The purpose and plans for our family have been forever altered. There is such a powerful truth in adoption. The truth that we were loved long before we were born. We were chosen for no reason other than we were loved. The Lord didn't fear opening His heart and family to us. He certainly knew our adoption was not always going to be rainbows and unicorns and yet He adopted us anyway. He looked past all the "what ifs" and invited us in. He continues to love and accept us and keep us as we fall short.

Adoption? Be ready to have your "destiny" altered.


13 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Thank you so much - exactly what I needed today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh i so needed to hear this today. thank you for your courage-giving truth words!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you so so much for posting this. It is just beautiful. In the end, we are all adopted.
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! What a beautiful moment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful words......
    We are sooo altered!!!! In sooo many ways!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got chills up and down my arms reading this post. Our course in life has been altered...all of us...through adoptions. Thanks for sharing this story with us Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, Kelly! Now I'm the one with tears!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I know I was altered when we decided to adopt and it was the best decesion we ever made.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesome!! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tears are flowing! What a special friendship you and this lady can build on. And yes, I agree - my "destiny" has been completely changed since the first time I held Jailyn! Thank God!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praise God!!!!! So glad He changed my "destiny".....

    Tears!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post. Thank you for sharing the encouragement with all of us. We are changed and we don't even have our daughter in our arms yet.

    ReplyDelete